Monroe dating monroe michigan
The stretch of the district that runs along M-125 is also designated as one of the Pure Michigan Byways.
The area dates back to 1817 when the first roads were drawn out on a piece of land given by local landowner Joseph Loranger for the establishment of the village for the newly organized Monroe County.
Today, it is far removed from the rest of the Old Village.
On July 4, 1910, then-President William Howard Taft and Elizabeth Bacon Custer unveiled a statue to commemorate George Armstrong Custer, who spent much of his early life living in Monroe.
Today, the statue is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as the George Armstrong Custer Equestrian Monument.
Glaciers advanced into the Monroe area from Canada and carried sand, silt, clay, and boulders.
However, with the increase of automobile traffic, the statue's location in the middle of an intersection warranted protests as a traffic hazard.
On June 20, 1923, the city moved the statue out of the Old Village to a less prominent location along the River Raisin, where it remained until it was moved again in August 1955 to its current location on the other side of the river from the Old Village.
The grid plan, drawn up by Henry Disbrow, was modeled after the system used in New York City, with streets named after numbers.
Although small at first, the city grew rapidly along the River Raisin beginning around 1830.